Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Recreation

    April 6 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    After an excellent night’s sleep with the aircon set to a more moderate 21 degrees we were also able to sleep in a little as the weekend program is much more relaxed than the weekday schedule.
    Breakfast was followed by the sighting of a green snake beside the water cooler station, but it disappeared into the undergrowth before we were able to determine whether it was a harmless tree snake or a venomous green viper.
    The morning’s recreational activity was to take all the group up to the Mae Sa waterfall national park (just a 7 minute drive away) which was an excellent way to beat the heat for a while and also to see the group bonding.
    (Sadly Sam had to take 3 of the students off to the bus terminal as they had been summonsed back to their village to help with farming duties due to illness leaving the farm understaffed).
    A short walk from the carpark led to a delightful waterfall and pool area where wading and/ or swimming was very pleasant.
    There are a series of 10 different falls but the upper ones required some strenuous walking which wasn’t particularly calling out to be conquered in the heat.
    Back to the TLC for lunch followed by a designated room inspection to ensure all rooms were being kept clean and tidy.
    This was Tim and Leah’s responsibility and Loss was nervous that they might inspect our room and give it a fail, leading to unknown consequences - but all rooms passed inspection and I was instructed to securely lock ours for the duration of the process as a precaution….
    Relieved to have sidestepped this hurdle the free afternoon was spent by some having a siesta, others doing a little more grocery shopping etc.
    After doing a little preparatory reading for the upcoming lessons to be given next week I decided to take the scooter and go for a bit of an exploratory ride up into the hills.
    Past the waterfalls, an elephant sanctuary, a Karen Long Neck village doubling as a tourist attraction - and lots of little roadside cafes with tables set up in the river where you can eat and drink with the water flowing around your legs.
    Whilst stopping to take this in I noticed a few mozzies circling my helmet which made me wonder about the possibility of the dining experience leading to a less-than-desirable outcome on the infectious diseases front.
    Back on the scooter before their proboscis’ had found their target and a pleasant ride back to the TLC in time for dinner. I was the subject of much teasing as, while everyone else enjoyed their rice based meals, Loss had specially prepared (not a pre-frozen lamb roast) but some pork steaks, roast potatoes and veggies. Much derision from some fronts, but young Harry McGeorge is now my new best friend as we shared the excess potatoes with him :)
    A games evening followed which was a great success as always.
    Read more