Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Farewells

    April 19 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 31 °C

    It is time to leave.

    The ‘Grab’ (Thailand’s version of Uber) has arrived and the tiny Honda hatch looks to be about the same size as a Smart Car. We manage to shoehorn ourselves and the luggage in and with more than a tinge of sadness wave goodbye to the TLC crew.

    Our last morning here was busy. Morning Devotion then back-to-back teaching lessons meant we went out with a bang and not a whimper.
    Phone calls home, last minute packing and an impromptu handover briefing for Tim Bailey who had just arrived to take over where Loss and I left off occupied the rest of our time until our micro transport arrived just before 2pm to start us homeward bound.

    It’s been just on two weeks but it has gone by in a flash. As always with these types of endeavours there are moments of disappointment and frustration but these were far outweighed by the very rewarding work with which we have been involved. Most gratifying of all was to be working closely with other like-minded sharers of our Hope - and especially to see the progression and commitment to baptism of another one of Adam’s race.
    All the students (and Ebenezer) seemed genuinely grateful for our efforts and we feel we have made a special connection with them. We have helped sow the seed and we rely on God to give the increase.

    Although Loss and I have travelled to a fair number of destinations overseas we have previously spent very little time in Asia. Our two weeks here in Chiang Mai is by far the most extended visit to this region of the world.
    It has been enjoyable and rewarding and in addition to the work at the TLC we got to see and experience some amazing local sights.

    We will miss the camaraderie of our little group here. If the program continues into the future we would definitely like to come back and help again - but perhaps at a different time of year when the mountains are not obscured by smoke and the temperature doesn’t top out at 40 degrees every day :)

    And we will miss those frequent, inexpensive massages . . .
    Read more