Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Varna, Sea Garden and Technopolis

    May 29, 2019 in Bulgaria ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Full day in Varna today, starting with a walking tour of the city.

    We started at Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin, known as The Cathedral to the locals, interesting because it was built in 1886 with money raised from a public lottery.

    We walked the length of the walking street to the Varna Sea Garden, which has multiple walking trails, and just as many beach front bars with sun beds available for hire.

    We also visited the Roman Baths, which had a great example of the underfloor heating system in use, and a good series of drawings to envision what was in place in Roman times.

    With a free afternoon ahead of us, and our Samsung tablet failing too often for our liking (especially with the Geocaching app 😯), we made the decision to purchase a new one, so we caught the local bus to Technopolis, a Harvey Norman style tech warehouse on the outskirts of town and bought a new Lenovo tablet. Buying an electronic item in Bulgaria... what could go wrong!!

    We had a late lunch in the walking street, then time for a visit to the Art Gallery and Sea Garden again in the afternoon (of course both had caches), before having tea in a backstreet pub.
    Read more