Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day by the bay

    February 17, 2020 in Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    With fine weather forecast today we decided to walk around the bay area. We caught the bus to Marina Bay Sands, passed the obligatory temperature check (most public buildings undertake temperature checks when entering) and headed to the rooftop observation deck for spectacular views of the bay area. Most of the people up there were cruise passengers from one of the few cruise ships still plying Asian ports.

    We then headed into Gardens by the Bay, had lunch at Satay by the Bay (but had falafals instead of satay), and walked a circuitous route following the caches, visiting the waterfront, drinks at the Fullerton Bay Hotel, the Merlion and National Gallery of Singapore.

    On the walk back to Orchard Road we detoured via Fort Canning Park. The park is the highest point in the city centre (48m elevation) and was formerly home to a Christian cemetery. The cemetery continued to be used until 1865 when it was declared full and closed, but by the 1970s it was in such a state of disrepair, the cemetery was exhumed and many of the surviving tombstones were embedded in the surviving walls.

    Dinner was at a 24 hour outdoor eatery near our apartment.
    Read more