Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Cascade and Cockpit

    August 9, 2022 on Norfolk Island ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    After breakfast at the hotel, we headed into the village to Norfolk Telecom to buy a local SIM card (NI isn't part of the Australian phone network).

    We then hosted a geocaching event at a local cafe, with 3 attendees (one was the only geocacher on the island, a 7th generation Islander and a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian).

    After morning tea we travelled north to Palm Glen walk in Norfolk Island National Park, which had panoramic views of the southern parts of Norfolk Island and out to Phillip Island (uninhabited island off the south coast).

    Lunch was a picnic near Cockpit Waterfall, before heading to Cascade Bay, home to one of 2 piers on the island.

    Shipping supplies to NI is a constant issue - the island has no safe harbour, so supplies can't be imported by container, but must be transferred to smaller vessels before coming ashore. A ship is due in the next few days, so currently many items are in short supply - for example there is no beer available at the Bond Store (the only liquor outlet on the island), and the only soft drinks on the supermarket shelves are ginger beer and tonic water!

    Dinner was locally caught Trumpeter fish at a restaurant across the road from our accommodation.
    Read more