Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Big wave surf capital

    March 27, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We had a late start departing Lisbon this morning, trying to avoid peak hour traffic, and began our journey north visiting the Monastery of Batalha, before continuing on to Nazare.

    Nazare was a quiet fishing village until the world discovered the giant waves generated by a 5km deep undersea canyon just off the coast, and tried to surf them. The world record for big wave surfing was achieved here in 2022 at 86 feet (26.2 metres). No such swell today, just the usual 2-3 metres... so it's not for the faint hearted!

    We had seafood lunch overlooking the cliffs at Nazare before continuing on to Obidos, a walled Roman city and the best example a medieval town in Portugal. The buildings are predominantly painted blue and yellow, and their local speciality is Ginga de Obidos, cherry liquor served in a tiny chocolate cup!

    Our stop for the night is the town of Fatima, one of the largest pilgrimage centres in the world. The town of 13,000 residents receives 8 million visitors a year, with mass performed regularly in the modern church which seats 8,600 and has an area of 40,000 square metres (the 5th largest Catholic Church in the world).
    Read more