Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Mercury Bay Glass Bottom Boat Tour

    March 21 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Woken up this morning with Rosie at the bottom of our ladder saying "Mummy and Daddy, Poppy has done lots of stinky farts and a poo poo in my bed". She was right! Poppy looked very happy about it all. Luckily it stayed in her nappy!
    Did a glass bottom boat tour of Mercury Bay today, heading out from Whitianga Wharf. Stopped to look at Lonely Bay beach (very beautiful) and Cooks Beach (not quite as beautiful) as well as the dramatic white Shakespeare Cliff also named by Captain Cook.
    We took a look at Cathedral Cove which has stunning rock formations and you can currently only get to it by sea as the footpath got damaged in a cyclone.
    Next up we went into NZ's second largest sea cave, Oria Sea Cave. Both Rosie and Poppy were asleep by then, despite the noise of the engine and driving through chop.
    We stopped at various points in the marine reserve to take a look at what was there. Mainly snapper but a few other species too. Think we've been spoilt by seeing lots of tropical fish in the South Pacific!
    The boat was a great way to see some of the top sites and get a sense of the area. Had a lovely lunch at Whitianga and a play on the pirate ship in the park before heading off.
    Matt had a quick kite on the beach up the road whilst Poppy napped and Rosie did some writing and cutting with me. After a food shop I had a run along Hot Water beach and Matt took Rosie on the go karts at the campsite. Rosie was really helpful this afternoon and fed Poppy her dinner as well as got them both ready for bed!
    Poppy loved her dinner and gobbled up the sweet potato and banana puree.
    We're checking out of the holiday park tomorrow to find a freedom camping spot down the coast. Will be nice to camp up somewhere with a nice view and be a bit more off grid.
    Read more