Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Cape Reinga and 90 Mile Beach

    May 10 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Drove up to the top of the north island, Cape Reinga, and walked up to the iconic lighthouse. Saw a shark in the waters below where you can also see the Tasman Sea meet the Pacific ocean.
    Saw the giant sand dunes quickly on our way back south, but both the girls were asleep so headed on to our campsite at Rarawa Beach. Another Department of Conservation site, right next to the river. Lovely to see lots of kingfishers, pied cormorants (?) in the trees and white faced herons doing some fishing. We took the girls down to the beach when we arrived and found it was a 'squeaky beach'! The sand was so white and fine, it felt almost like cornflour. Rosie ran about happily squeaking the sand under her feet. Poppy sat up on the beach for a few minutes all by herself - definitely the longest I've seen her sit on her own! She's also been doing some lovely giggles recently, blowing raspberries at us to get our attention and I think she tried to wave at some people at Cape Reinga. She's learning to do so much at the moment!
    Drove to 90 mile beach this morning. Went to the playpark and pump track first. Rosie really enjoyed helping Poppy to go on different things.
    Met a nice family at the beach nearby where we had lunch. They were from the Philippines and in NZ on a working visa.
    Took the girls to 90 mile beach in the afternoon. Rosie thought the quad bikes doing wheelies on the beach were hilarious and tried to do her own!
    Read more