Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Taupo (Huka Falls)

    March 9, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Before I got into my reliable little rental car to drive 2 hours to Napier/Hastings, I stopped by the Huka Falls, which are about 10 mins drive from Taupo.

    What 100% New Zealand says:
    The Waikato River, New Zealand's longest river, moves gracefully north from Lake Taupo between banks 100 metres apart. Just before the Huka Falls it enters a shallow ravine of hard volcanic rock. The effect is nature's large-scale equivalent of a fire hose feeding into a very fine nozzle.

    The previously placid waters roar and rumble at great speed along the ravine before bursting into space out over Huka Falls to crash into the turbulent pool 11 metres below. A foot bridge right at the top of the falls puts you in a prime position to get up close and witness the amazing display of more than 220,000 litres of water blasting by every second.

    I hiked the Huka Falls to Spa Park trail (return). Passing through exotic and native forests, the track emerges again alongside the river and the roar of the falls grows louder at every turn.

    The water of the river is unbelievable with its blues and greens. It is also so clear you can see to the bottom. The falls look like they are turquoise in colour. It is a magnificent spectacle of the forces of nature.
    Read more