Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Catania Reunited

    June 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today was a throw-away day. We had nothing planned except for an extended train trip to Catania and eventual drinks with Liam Hair and Ben Grebert. We had originally planned to fly but Jack booked tickets for the wrong month and so we were forced to go on the train and hope that we could get some of our money back by changing the flight to a different time and place. In the end, we got some value back but had to invest more money to change the flight and catch a second one to make it worth it. This was a use it or lose it scenario.

    The only slightly interesting part of this trip was that the train had to traverse the Strait between Sicily and the Italian mainland. We thought this may be an underground tunnel, but it turned out to be a ferry for trains. Then, I literally got put on the boat, in a train, and ferried across to Sicily to disembark and continue on their rail system. This would have been cool if we hadn't lost 2 hours due to technical issues with getting the train on and off the ferry. Meaning we were suppose to arrive at midday to catch up with Hairy and Ben, but then it turned into 6 o'clock because we had to catch a train, then it became 8 o'clock due to the delays. This was slightly annoying, but we eventually caught up with them for a while. We got sloppy drunk off Aperols and shots before meeting some girls from Arizona. We spoke with them for a while before heading home for the night. It was great to see Hairy again after 11 months a part - it was especially good to see him knowing it may be another 9 months until I'm home. After this, we headed to our accommodations to sleep.
    Read more