Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Maasai School & Game Day 1

    October 18, 2023 in Kenya ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Today, we began the day with the same lady who spoke to us the night before. This time, she and some of the warriors took us around the campsite and explained how they live off the land. Showing how different plants and bushes are used as medicine and day to day items. She showed us insect repellent, ear piercing instruments, camouflage, how to make toothbrushes, chewing gum, and much, much more. It was really cool and eye-opening with the different strategies they use on a day to day life that we take for granted.

    She continued the tour by taking us to the Maasai school just outside the Maasai settlement. This was one of the cutest and most amazing experiences. The children were adorable and so happy to see us. We first met the kindergarten students, and the lady got them excited by saying we were new teachers and that you should choose the one you want. They immediately all jumped up and ran to us, hugging us and not letting go. It was unbelievably cute. We went from kindy to grade 5 with all the kids showing us their ability to speak Maasai, Swahili, and English. It was very impressive. After this, the grade 5s gave us a dance in which the whole school eventually joined in, and we got to play with the kids on the playground they recently bought. A wholesome and beautiful experience in general

    After heading to our next camp site near the Maasai National Park, we dropped off our stuff, put up our tents, and headed out for our first game drive of the tour. There were animals everywhere, and it took almost no time at all until we spotted a cheetah with three baby cubs. Literally sitting alongside the main road into the national park. This is not something we expected to see so quickly, but our luck continued and some as shortly after. The Eagle-eyed Nick somehow spotted a family of Lions in the bushes. We were the first to spot them, and so we could get as close as we wanted. And when I say we got close, I really mean that we were an arms reach away from a couple of lionesses and their cubs. It was unbelievable how tame and unphased they were by our presence just a few feet from their cubs. But to get that close so quickly is far from what I expected. It is a highlight of my whole trip so far. After some time admiring and observing the beautiful creatures, we figured we would have to move on and continue the search. As we left, somehow again, Nick spotted another lioness in a lones shrub in the middle of a field. Picture 12 may look like a boring old bush, but in their is, in fact, a killing machine. Masters of camouflage. As the game drive continued, we then managed to spot 2 more of the big 5 by ticking off elephants and Buffalo. But i was still very excited for tomorrow where we would do our best to complete the final pieces of the puzzle, the Leopard and the Rhino. The time of year was perfect to find baby animals with their mothers. Almost every time we saw an adult animal, there would be a baby present just learning the ropes of life. It was adorable and isn't something I expected nor planned for. As we left, the first Lions we had spotted had arisen from their hiding spot, and quite literally, 40 cars had surrounded them getting photos. They maintained a good distance, but it did take away from the experience. I'm glad we stumbled across them before the crowds were there to bother them and us.

    Photos from the proper cameras are at the end.
    Read more