Satellite
  • Day 11

    Whyalla

    March 12, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Whyalla is located on the western shore of the upper Spencer Gulf on the Eyre Peninsula and is 385 kms northwest of Adelaide. The town has a substantial industrial base providing mining, engineering and steel services.
    We spent an extremely windy afternoon which lasted into the evening staying into the next day. The gale which was blowing certainly made it difficult to sleep as our van was on a site directly off the foreshore. We did manage some sightseeing without being blown off the face of the earth.
    Matthew Flinders first navigated the north Spencer Gulf in 1802, followed by Frenchman Louis-Claude Freycinet in 1803, these famous explorers are remembered in contemporary sculptures of the pair.
    The foreshore has recreational areas and is linked to the Ada Ryan gardens for everyone to enjoy. Along the foreshore is a sculpture of a stainless steel globe of the world honouring the multicultural heritage of the town and also a diver , an acknowledgement of humans and nature interacting . Little Mawson was up close and personal with the diver. In town is a steel artwork honouring the Henry Lawson story of the Loaded Dog. Made of thousands of pieces of small steel rods it makes a wonderful exhibit.
    One little structure we saw looked nothing other than a high rise Hobit house, looking rather funny we thought.
    Read more