Satellite
  • Day 40

    Stockholm, The Old City

    August 15, 2019 in Sweden ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Stockholm is a city on 5 Islands and on one, Gamla Stan, is the Old City, with cobbled streets and buildings of the 17th & 18th century. In narrow streets we saw long low two story buildings that comprised many dwellings often with varying facades with simple variations.
    We were escorted around the old City by a wonderful, bohemian type, born and breed gentleman from Stockholm. So much knowledge, so much dry humour, so much character. Our guide certainly made the Old City come to life with his wonderful words and actions. We actually walked by his apartment in the Old City, his wife bringing us umbrellas when it started to drizzle.
    It is home to the medieval Storkyran cathedral built in 1279 with the St George and the Dragon and the Joseph and Mary sculptures. Here is also the Royal Palace, the King's official residence.
    A delightful little spot in the Old City is a quaint little piece of serinity to sit, relax and have a meal under the chestnut tree, popular but still a charming little space to enjoy.
    We also were shown a famous home in the Old City, number 21. Where a young group, consisting of two boys and two girls, began writing and singing - yes ABBA.
    Read more