Satellite
  • Day 4

    Jungle night hike

    September 19, 2016 in Peru

    So the thought of hiking through the jungle in the dark was a pretty daunting prospect before we headed out, especially when you are purposefully looking for tarantulas, snakes and scorpions. We donned the jungle wellies, grabbed a torch and a couple of headlamps and headed out, following Andy, our lovely guide, meticulously through the pitch black forest.

    It was pretty amazing to see all the eyes of the spiders and insects reflecting like jewels from our lights. Every single one glinted like a little diamond amongst the trees and undergrowth. It was surprising how large some would shine before you find out it is a tiny spider the size of a fingernail.

    We came across an enormous frog pretty soon in to our trek and honestly it was almost the size of a football. It was a Smokey Eyed Jungle Frog and I just wouldn't have believed it possible for a frog to be this big had I not seen it for myself. Absolutely massive!

    We didn't find any tarantulas which is a shame, but we did spot an orb weaver spider, with a HUGE web. It was right across our route and I feel like it could have trapped a human if it wanted to! Really intricate and amazing, and as far as spiders go they're pretty beautiful. I also got up close to a spider on the ground to take photos, later finding out it was one of the most venomous spiders on the planet.
    Read more