Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Ramshorn Lake, MT

    July 17, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Horsehide up to Ramshorn Lake, MT... I's only accessible via horse, up narrow trails that go from meadow to meadow and up pretty sheer cliffs. Got to trust the horse while it's on a 2' wide edge and crossing multiple creeks.... It's about a 3,000' climb and about 12 miles to the lake. We went thru a few rain storms, mostly little cloud bursts, until we got the last horse back into the trailer and the bottom dropped out....

    Speaking of bottoms, mine is going to take a few days to recover from the 7 hour, 24 mile ride.... Going up was "OK"... coming down was incredibly painful but what else ar ya gonna do - walk?

    These pictures really don't do the grander justice...it's simply breathtaking.

    Sincere thanks to Dana and Mary Christian for putting up with Rosie and I over the past few days. Their hospitality is over the top and their lifestyle is breath taking.... The pictures that follow are only ONE of hundreds and hundreds of trails and destinations in this stunningly beautiful part of America.... It's easy to see what Lewis & Clark saw when they came through....I just can't believe how difficult it would've been to somehow portray it to Thomas Jefferson...you just can't put it into words...
    Read more