Satellite
  • Day 313

    Battambang

    February 6, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Next we spent a couple of days at Battambang. The first day we hired a Tuk Tuk and visited the prize attraction - the bamboo train. This is effectively sheets of bamboo that are used in the town to transport rice on a railway track. However due to the popularity of this for tourists, the locals found it hard to find time to transport the rice. Therefore a month before now they made a new bamboo train outside the town purely for tourists. This made the experience very strange as it felt like there was no real concept. We arrived, were quickly ushered onto the VIP seats ( I don't know why?) and enjoyed a 10 minute journey before turning back and heading home. Very surreal!
    Next we visited the bat caves and enjoyed a lovely sunset where at the end the bats started to fly out for the night. Apparently millions fly out over the course of an hour, we only stayed for 15 minutes or so but it was pretty cool! There was also yet another temple on the top of the hill to visit.
    The next day we visited a school which was set up to help children living in poor conditions. It was amazing to see all the talented artists and we watched a show to see all of their amazing skills, from hula hooping to dancing.
    Read more