Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Big Sequoia's Everywhere

    September 16, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We are really lucky with our trip to Yosemite. Last night we learned that the park has only reopened recently due to the fires that ravaged parts of the park; before that no one could enter to go hiking.

    As per a suggestion from our host last night, we decided to visit the Mariposa Grove. This place is amazingly beautiful with thousand year old Sequoia trees everywhere. On our journey to the top we see many gigantic trees with gorgeous red colors. As usual we try to capture photos but the magical color unfortunately does not transfer to the photos. You have to come and see for yourselves 😉. The hike is pretty easy even if they earn you that it is "strenuous". There is a very nice dirt road that you can take all the way to the top. There are also primeter roads that are more like traditional trails that are very nice to take instead.

    Once we arrive at the top we stop to eat lunch while enjoying the view. The squirrels are a bit different here, they are gray and seem to have a beard. I will try to take a picture next time. We also meet Germans, of course they are traveling everywhere. We meet one who is very helpful for some nice photos at the top.

    After the trek we head to our campground. We make a couple of pit stops for some photos of El Capitan and the Half Dome. We will be hiking up the Half Dome and maybe El Capitan in the next couple of days. It will be long days but are told that it is totally worth it.

    After setting up our tent we head back of to explore the grocery store and try to find the place for showers. We learn that there are no showers on our campground but some are available at another. We also learn that it cost 5 dollars, however, if there is no one at the door to collect we can get in for free. We will need to find out the times when there is no one guarding the door 🤭

    At the groceries we find the essentials: beer and something for lunch for our hike tomorrow. We forgot to bring a cooler in the limited space we had for our luggage. Oh well, we will just need to find things that can be kept at room temperature. We are both creative and will find some ideas 😋.

    After having supper we walk around to find the trailhead that we need to take tomorrow morning. We are lucky and find it quickly and at the same time we find a nice little stream with rocks to sit on and bonus, we have some internet to allow us to share our daily posts.

    That's it for today.
    Read more