Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    VinItaly Day Two

    April 16, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We start the day nice and early. But it is overall very quiet until around 11.30pm. Most of the people come to our stands are sommeliers or studying towards to becoming one. Overall, there is no real trade buyer. Well, Italy is such a large wine producing country, people who will buy international wines would be those from high end restaurants or luxury hotels. Even when they buy, they will probably buy 20 cases at a time which not worth the time for most Australian wineries. No busienss to be made at VinItaly. Better of inviting sommeliers from top range restaurants on a gastronomical tour to Australia like what Wine Australia does occasionally.

    Another reason VinItaly is so crowded because every mum and pop vineyard would have a stand at the Show. A lot of the chateau is only about 40 acre and they use a lot of space to store barrels and bottles. They won't let any bottles that are less than 2 years old out of the door. Quality over quantity is their principle.

    On the other hand, due to geographic distance, Italian hardly taste Australian wine. A lot of them tell me this is their first time to taste Australian wine. They find our wine very "interesting" ... Australian wines are generally younger, white would be on the sweeter side and the red would have softer tannin and more red fruit flavour. They love our Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz / Syrah.

    An interesting incident this morning is an Italian grandmother took her grandchildren, all look like under 18yr, to the show. The oldest one who look like 16yr orders to taste different wines. Towards the end, even the 8yr old starts to drink. OMG, the look on Kevin's (the owner who does the pouring) face worth a photo!

    At the end of the day, Alessabdra and I go over to the food hall and get some complimentary white truffle / Tartuffe and biscuit and start drinking Riesling. Australian are a rowdy yet fun bunch of people.

    Learning:
    McLaren Vale style - old vine, hot climate, high alcohol (i.e. less acidity)

    Italian wine - generally high acidity due to colder climate
    Read more