Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    VinItaly Day One - Public Day

    April 15, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Phrase two of this trip kicks start today. VinItaly is the largest wine show in the world and boasts about 5,000+ exhibitors from every corner of Italy. Surely it does not live down its name; each region warrants its own Pavilion with hundreds of well decorated booths. My role is to help pouring wine at the Winestate stand inside of the International Wine Pavilion Hall D.

    There are so many wines from all over Italy, my head spins after walking around for 15min. Unlike the HK Show, which is positioned as premium and has a good representation from around the world, VinItaly is a show for every vineyard to showcase their wine to all kinds of buyers. I have met lots of sommeliers (apparently 1 out of 3 I meet today are sommeliers or on the way to become one), wine bar owners, wine consultants, restaurants looking to buy small quantity of wine. At the HK show, exhibitors at the Italian Pavilion are good representations of what each region can offer, which makes amateur like me easier to navigate around. While at VinItaly, every vineyards strike to showcase their wines and it is impossible to taste every one of the them.

    The secret of the trade is to network and via word of mouth introduction. Trade fair is just a convenient platform for buyers and sellers to meet. All the homework are done outside of the four walls. Consider wine dinner, wine education master class, network among the trades, are all good ways to build up your brand and networks.

    Another tip is to be presentable. Why would a wine consultant pick you out among thousands of other wines? Your personality and knowledge will make you shine through the crowd. Perhaps a glass before the show may help relax you into the craft of wine sales.

    Another way to see trade show is for a new comer to learn about the market, the consumer taste preferences and price elasticity of your buyers. Europeans still prefer the big bold red with strong tannin and the gripeness on the tongue. They find Australian red "interesting" with softer tannin, high alcohol (certain style), shorter finish, on a sweeter note, and easier to drink. Penfold has helped to paved the way for Australian red but more education are still needed to pave the way.

    One thing I really like about VinItaly is that they provide unlimited glass washing service. I can use a fresh glass every time I pour a new wine. Nothing is worse than tasting a wine with the last one lingering at the bottom of my glass.

    One thing I don't like about Vinitaly is the organiser does not provide water. I drank half 50ml bottle for the whole day and not bother to buy one because the queue at the bar area is always super long.
    Read more