Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day of Masks and Costumes

    February 23, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 7 °C

    We started our day with our tradition - a free city walking tour. We were shown around the water city narrow streets and winding waterways by an American living in Venice. After a while, all the mini palazzos, bridges and building facades looked the same to me. What I could remember was Venice is shaped like a fish, the best way to navigate is to know where about I am in the fish.

    The weather was gorgeous, blue sky with little wind. We knew there would be a parade in the afternoon from the tail of the fish. After having lunch at a traditional local tapas place, which we called “Italian Sushi” i.e. assorted stuff on top of a piece of bread, and a glass of Apero Spritz (of course! It is originally from Venice), we wondered towards the starting point of the Parade. Along the way, we saw so many people went all out, dressed up in traditionally clothes, full theatrical makeups, and over the top (literally) masks! This was like the Italian version of Melbourne Cup. We stopped every few meters to take photos with fully dressed up participants who were willing to post. I guess this is what carnival is for - you can dress up ridiculously and the only odd one out is those who do not dress up.

    In order to feel being part of the carnival, I bought a mask as well. This was the best €3.50 I have ever spent! Instantly, I feel like being part of the carnival and immersing into the festivity atmosphere.

    The parade a full dressed re-enactment of showcasing 15 most beautiful virgin teens en-route to San Marco Square. This event was cancelled for 200 years because these girls were either molested or raped on the way to the parade! Only in recent years the parade started again for tourists.

    After the parade, we took the slowest ferry to go from stops to stops on the grand canal. Although touristy, Venice’s charm is definitely worths the hype. Blue sky, gondolas, green water, grand facades, beautifully carved bridges, dotted with domes of churches, it is not surprised that Venice has attracted millions of tourists every year.

    San Marco Square had a free outdoor live band playing in the evening to take the carnival to a new high. We danced in the cold for about two hours, absorbed all the carnival flavour. When I checked my Apple Watch, we have walked almost 19km today!
    Read more