Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    St Etienne to Bayeux

    October 3, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Yesterday we left St Etienne to drive to Lyon to drop our travelling companions Peter and Vanessa off at the railway as they are now heading home - sad to see them go after three great weeks.
    Then we had 720 km drive to Bayeux and we had to be at our B & B by 7pm and a car crash on the motorway to Lyon had put us back an hour plus we had to change cars so didn’t leave Lyon until 10:30. Luckily it was nearly all motorway so cruise control on 130 km/hr (the speed limit) and made it with 30 minutes to spare - after another motorway car crash to had us diverted for a while.
    Absolutely lovely old house with only two other guest rooms and central to all the sights and eateries in town by 10 minutes walk.
    Headed straight to the famous Bayeux tapestry first thing to beat the crowds. Quite an amazing experience to see such an ancient work of artistry in good condition - it is actually embroidery and the colours are still vibrant. At 70 metres long it is housed in a room that allows one way traffic to view the story of Harold and William - so detailed and depicts everyday life as well as royalty and battles. Not allowed to take pictures so you’ll just have to look online!
    Then a walk around the old town and then to another museum for the other important war story around here - D Day and the Battle for Normandy 1944. We haven’t noticed many American tourists up till now but Bayeux is mainly all Americans - this area is to them what the Northern front is to Aussies I suppose. The museum is very detailed and well set out to keep your interest.
    Tomorrow we will head off to landing beaches and hopefully some Normandy oysters!
    Read more