Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Marseilles

    October 14, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    We are now in Marseilles for the final four days of our trip. We have a lovely renovated apartment in the old part of town close to the old port in what would be described in trendy terms as “gritty” surroundings - realistically it is a bit dirty, dark and dangerous feeling! Despite that it is well situated and quite interesting.
    Today we just started walking and saw where we ended up.
    So we walked towards the Notre Dame Basilica on the high hilltop which gave us wonderful views over the city - via flower markets, backstreet African markets into the privileged parts of town with Louis Vuitton and Hugo shops. From the basilica we could see the island prison of Chateau d’If (inspiration for the The Count of Monte Christo) and the beautiful cliffs along the Mediterranean.
    We than made our way through the maze of streets down towards the ocean to the beach for a refreshing swim in the clear waters of the Mediterranean. Then a small one woman operation pizza restaurant in the backstreets again - quite a character she was - but great real pizza!
    We finished by walking back along the coast road to home - very tired but a great day just watching the locals.
    Just watched Argentina beat Wales - yeah! Next is Ireland vs NZ.
    Read more