Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Hoi An

    August 8, 2022 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    It hasn’t stopped raining for two days now although despite this, Hoi An really is a lovely place. After a chilled morning (and Jess taking time to do a body combat workout ) we braved the weather with flip flops and an umbrella and wandered the Old Town streets, grabbing some lunch and hot chocolate. It isn't uncommon for small restaurants to serve a very small selection of food. At this restaurant, we had a choice of two local dishes and both were delicious.

    Looking to stay out of the rain, we stopped off at a heritage museum put together by a French photographer who now lived in Hoi An. Not really expecting too much from this considering is was free admission, we were pleasantly surprised as we walked into a photo gallery with information and stories about the photographer’s experience meeting various ethic communities living across the country. He had spent years travelling and meeting all 54 ethnicities present in Vietnam. Having opened up the museum to preserve Vietnamese cultures, the museum told his story and detailed accounts and experiences with each group showing their traditional tribal clothing in his photography. We found it so interesting to learn about the incredibly isolated lives of these communities, challenges and changes they faced, their traditional tribal wear and much more. A really insightful and fascinating project.

    Our first suit fitting went well with only a few alterations needing to be made. We're really pleased with how they are looking so far and are still amazed at the speed at which these are tailored. Apparently in total it takes about 3 fittings to perfect the fit of most clothing. Broken sandals update: repaired.

    Absolutely loving Hoi An and really looking forward to exploring the town and surrounding area more over the next couple of days!
    Read more