Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Broken Beach, Nusa Penida

    September 2, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Since our visit to the west side was cut short due to the late ferry over, we were unable to visit all the sites we wanted to on the first day, only visiting Crystal bay and T-Rex beach. The following day Jess felt a little worse still so was unable to leave the room despite trying to. That afternoon whilst Jess was sleeping Dan rode to Angel Billabong and Broken Beach, the other two sites we had missed the previous day.

    After arriving at Angel Billabong, within minutes of parking the scooter and walking over to the cliffs Dan saw a large black shadow swimming in the water down below. It turns out this area was a popular dive site called Manta Point which is a regular cleaning spot for large reef manta rays.

    Angel Billabong was a beautiful flat crystal clear natural pool. Although Dan didn’t, you can walk down into the pool. There have been reports of a number of deaths here as people underestimate the power of the waves that can suddenly flood into the pool. A little further along was Broken Beach which from above looks to be fully enclosed by rock however there is an opening for water which over time formed a small bay inside. It wasn't possible to walk down but did make for a nice photo. After a mooch around exploring the cliffs and scenery Dan returned back to the scooter only to find an empty cafe hidden on the rocks. It was facing straight into the sunset looking out over the sea so of course Dan stopped for a drink and watched the sun set over Bali on the horizon. The sunset itself was beautiful and only 10 minutes after the sun had set, the sky began to glow a deep orange.

    Jumping forward a few days, we came back for sunset when Jess was feeling better.
    Read more