Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Palacio da Pena

    September 21, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    》The whimsical exterior of the Palacio da Pena, has ornamental stone carving, vividly painted terraces and entrance guarded by a statue of Triton.

    The lush forests of the Parque de Pena that surround the palace are fascinating and varied grounds include refreshing fern gardens, massive rocky outcrops, wonderful viewpoints and the delightful Chalet da Condessa d'Edla.

    》The brilliant colours of the palace had slowly faded since being originally painted in the mid-19th century, and by the 1990s the palace's appearance had become rather drab and dreary.

    In 1996, Pena Palace underwent an extensive restoration project, which included repainting the exterior walls in their original colours. This vivid colour scheme horrified some of the more conservative residents of Sintra. Fortunately the work to reinvigorate the building continued, creating the opportunity to view this magnificent palace in its original splendour once again.

    》The sumptuous interior of the Palacio da Pena, with its many impressive staterooms styled with fine examples of grand 19th-century furniture. Incorporated into the palace is the monastery that the palace was built around, along with the impressive Sala de Visitas, Salão Nobre and the King's personal chambers.
    Read more