Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 10

    Tour day...Stop 2: Cascais

    21 september 2023, Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    》Cascais is the premier holiday destination of the Lisbon coastline. This is a traditional and charming Portuguese fishing town, which has responsibly developed into a popular resort town.

    Historically, Cascais was the summer retreat of the Portuguese nobility, and today the town is an elegant fusion of its illustrious heritage, with the expectations of the modern tourist.

    Found within the cobbled streets of the historic centre are lavish villas, an imposing fort, fascinating museums, along with lively bars and restaurants which give Cascais its buzzing holiday atmosphere.

    The beaches of Cascais are glorious; surrounding the town are the beautiful beaches of the Portuguese Riviera, while to the north is the wild and untamed Serra de Sintra coastline, with its vast surfing beaches and dramatic natural scenery.

    NOTES:

    ^Bryan Adams spent 4 years living in Cascais, when he was a teenager. "The Summer of '69" is about one of his summers there.

    ^The English writer, Ian Fleming, also a journalist and a British Naval Intelligence Officer, is the author of the James Bond character, created in his first book, “Casino Royale”(1953), inspired by the spies, also Estoril Palácio Hotel guests, where Fleming was staying at the time of the World War II.

    Afterwards,in the course of 1968, the Hotel was an exceptional scenario for the sixth film of James Bond saga, named “On Her Majesty´s Secret Service”, which had, as protagonists, the Australian actor, George Lazenby – the second agent of James Bond saga, after Sean Connery – and the English actress, Diana Rigg.

    The exterior of the Hotel, the lobby, the pool and the rooms’ view, are an integral part of many of the scenes of the film that was released in 1969. At the time, the pool had been recently built. Other locations in Portugal, as the Guincho Beach, Lisbon and the Arrábida Mountain, were selected for some of the scenarios of that feature film.
    Meer informatie