Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Bangkok

    January 1, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    We arrived in Bangkok after pretty seamless flights through Dubai. Transfer from the airport to hotel icon was much the same as 2019 - fast, chaotic. We were welcomed by the iconic gateway "Welcome to Thailand, land of smiles". We arrived at Hotel Icon which was exactly as we remember it but with addition of a cannabis kiosk outside and no welcome drink or cold flannel post covid. We had arranged to meet Amy's cousin Oliver and his wife Nell who live in Bangkok. We left the hotel after a quick shower approx 10pm and walked to Nana red light district. Despite feeling tired we had a good few drinks in various bars and ended the night with an apparently famous toastie from 7 Eleven for 27 Baht (70p). We returned to the hotel 2am and went to bed.

    The flowing day, we woke up at 5am, apparently due to time difference to back home. We struggled to get back to sleep so we headed out early for breakfast. City was pretty quiet as it was a national holiday. We found a cool cafe called Sarnies, full of young affluent locals enjoying coffee and breakfast. Tom was feeling quite ill so we decided to walk back to hotel, via a huge luxury shopping centre on way back. We got to hotel and crashed out asleep. Later we headed out for dinner and had Tom Yum from a local restaurant. We Walked down to Nana District again and revisited bars we went to in 2019.

    Our third and last day in Bangkok this time around, still not feeling 100% with cold & flu. We walked out for breakfast and back to hotel for check out at 12. We chilled in the rooftop bar area until it was time to head to train station for our overnight sleeper train to Chaing Mai. Amy found a popular restaurant which apparently cashes in on tourists who arrive in advance for trains so we headed there for something to eat before the train. The owner was extremely friendly and fun. We sat with two young guys and an older couple who were from UK, St Anne's. It was nice to chat with fellow travellers and compare plans.
    Read more