Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Camino Day 6

    April 23, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 43 °F

    We loved our hotel last night. Attic room with skylight and a step to a great view of the roof tops and still snow covered mountains. Hosteria Camino. ***

    Breakfast and out for 1.5 hr drive to our trailhead in Las Herrarias. This is our "big up" day - 2000 ft elevation gain. 5.3 miles. Weather is warm and sunny again. Wandered through the small hamlet taking pictures. Beautiful setting with lots of green, white trees in bloom and a rushing stream/river running through it. Then we started up - about 1.5 miles to the first stop, LaFaba, a steady up all the time. A stop for a coke and talked with a couple from Australia that we would see a couple times later in the day. Bea is walking today and Ibby is keeping her company.

    Then on to the next hamlet, Laguna de Castille - another 1.5 miles, more open terrain and pretty warm. Another stop for water and the last 1+ mile push to the top at O Cebreiro. Beautiful views all the way of Spanish countryside, farmland and some cattle. Illene and Kay reached the top in 3 hours. Ibby and Bea an hour or so later.

    Illene and I ate lunch at a restaurant that Shabi recommended - we entered the Province of Galacia today and Galacian Soup is a specialty here. It was good - a thick green soup with potatoes and a form of cabbage. Into the car and off to Sarria and Hotel AlfonsoIX

    Not going to be our favorite hotel!!
    Miles: 7.7
    Flights Climbed: 79!!
    Read more