Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Colombia Day 13

    August 8, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    Breakfast and out for a walk before we sit in a car for a couple hours getting to Guatape. Have hired a taxi to take us to our next stop for a couple nights. It will be nice to be out of a big city - Guatape is an hour and a half east of Medellin and known for its very large lake and architecture of the small town - population 5,200. Walked about a mile and a half from the hotel to a large shopping center which is one of the venues for the flowers. A huge display in an atrium of the 2nd floor with flowers in a semi circle on the floor and a colorful display of birds in the center. Hard to get the entire picture due to space.
    Off for Guatape via taxi - cost $100 US dollars for a good size taxi that holds all our luggage, most of the cabs here are quite small and accommodating 3 folk with luggage can be an issue. A nice ride through the Colombian countryside, lots to see and nice to have our cab driver for questions. Robert enjoys practicing his Spanish. Arrived at our hotel by 1:30P and check in not until 3 so we spent the time enjoying the lovely restaurant deck by the lake and having a cerveza and a snack. Our cabana is terrific. Large space with living room including kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 bath. Deck is terrific with sofa and chairs as well as table and chairs and replete with fireplace. However the best part is the view - the"rock" (more on this tomorrow), this part of the lake and surrounding green hills.
    Today is a holiday in Colombia so restaurant is closed. We decided to eat in so Robert and I off to town via "motochivas" (see picture below) - much fun - to get groceries for dinner. Town is about 2 miles away - what a cute place!! Will explore more tomorrow but saw a multitude of street vendors, dozens of colorful building, narrow streets and lots of people.
    Cocktail hour with music from Robert's play list and good conversation on our deck. ML and I made dinner of trout, rice, peppers and onions with avocado as a salad. Tasted good and nice not to have to go out for dinner. Some computer time and off to bed to watch another episode of "The Crown".
    Read more