Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Morocco Day 7

    October 18, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ 🌬 59 °F

    Leaving Erfoud today to travel deeper into the desert. A few stops along the way. First to a date market. Date palms are everywhere (where there is water) around here and dates are a major crop for Morocco. Also, it is harvest time. Mustafa says that there are 62 species of dates in Morocco. The bustling market place was alive with deliveries of produce via motor bikes, all piled high with cartons of dates, all sizes and shades of yellows and browns. Other date products were dates mixed with almonds and other nuts into a kind of jam, as well as coffee made from the ground pits of the dates. Next, a very interesting experience at a quarry and workplace where rocks are mined for fossils to be made into spectacular furniture and dozens of other items. E.g. Sculptures, tables, basins, plates, etc. The craftsmanship in these items is amazing. Some of the sculptures even in 3D! We were able to observe the entire process from raw material to finished project.
    Then off in our 4-wheel drive vehicles to explore the Sahara. We drove over sand dunes and up waddies, past some structures and, after an hour, reached our desert camp. What a great place! Individual tents for 2 with showers and toilets. Canopied beds with lace netting (for flies not mosquitoes). A dining tent – all run by solar. Even a place for charging our electronics by each bed. Lunch here and a rest time until late afternoon.
    Out in the late afternoon to visit a “nomad” family. Nomad in quotes as they were previously nomads but now have stayed in the same place for several years. The family consists of a mother/grandmother, several daughters and grandchildren. (also 2 sheep, 2 goats and a camel). The patriarch of the family died last year. All of the sons and grandsons have moved to the cities to earn money and send home as nomad life is increasingly difficult due to droughts. Spent a lovely hour or so with the mother, grandchildren of 13 and 4. Mother demonstrated how she cleans and twists camel wool for weaving. She has made many of the carpets that we sat on in the tent. We brought presents for the little girl and she left happily with a bag full of clothes and kid stuff. Their life is very hard, the harsh desert climate makes wood gathering for cooking difficult, they trade for most goods and the money that OAT provides so that we tourists is very helpful. Then off for another ride across the desert and a short walk on the sand dunes. Its amazing to see the different features of the dunes, all the graceful waves from the wind, all soft edges and constantly changing. We trekked up one dune and there we sat and conversed over our wine (and beer for some) as we enjoyed sunset over the Sahara!! A truly memorable experience and one not soon forgotten.
    Back to the camp for a cooking demonstration – a tagine with lamb and vegetables – dinner and an early to bed with plans to get up early AM to see the stars in the desert and sunrise in the Sahara.
    Read more