Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Morocco Day 8

    October 19, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Rose around 6:30 to be out to look at the sunrise by 7. I skipped the earlier AM activity of checking out the sky for stars around 5AM. Sunrise was kind of a “bust” as it had been windy last night and still sand/fog on the horizon at sunrise. Breakfast and out by 8:30 for morning action. First stop our highly anticipated camel ride. A beautiful day, not too hot, and all of us (except Illene who walked due to her back) up on colorful blanket covered camels! (really dromedaries – one hump) What fun, tons of pictures during an hour ride into the Sahara with our guides leading the trains of 4 camels each. A good time had by all.
    Back over the desert terrain – up and down sand dunes, really fun – to another area where there is water and a small village. Here the inhabitants of the village all have individual plots of land where they grow fruits and vegetables for their use and with which to trade for other goods. A centralized irrigation system controlled carefully so each of the plots of land get the same amount of water by the “waterman”. Lots to learn about the desert water culture. Then a stop for Gnaour music – the music of the desert - made with drums, castanets, and a stringed, mandolin type, instrument called a gambri. After being entertained by a group of musicians, which included a darling 4-year-old boy, we danced with one of the entertainers.
    A quick stop at a Muslim cemetery in the desert, basically the graves are distinguished by mounds with rocks as markers for the head and foot. Lunch of goat (bought by our guide in the town we went through yesterday) in a tagine with a wonderful onion, prune and raisin sauce. The usual comment – tastes like chicken. 😊
    After an afternoon siesta we gathered for a fascinating discussion of the Muslim religion which of course led to all of the thoughts and issues that, we as Americans, have about the Muslims. E.g. Terrorism, ISIS, the Middle East, etc. The discussion was highly participative and very interesting. Out for a nature walk in the desert as the sun is setting. Fascinating all of the things you can see: tracks in the sand – beetles, rats, gerbils, fox, and birds. Also, Mustafa explained the different plants that we saw and what the nomads use each part of the plant. Snakes here as well, most common the hooded viper, deadly poisonous, glad we did not see one of those.
    Back to our tent dining room for happy hour, another cooking demonstration of a Moroccan dish, dinner and bed.
    Read more