Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Alaska Day 10 Juneau, AK

    July 16, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Day 3 on the ferry. Up and out early this AM. Our new friend Diane had done some research on what to do in Juneau. Juneau is the capital of Alaska with ~35,000 people. We had almost 5 hours in port. We decided to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, a well known tourist stop in this part of the world. We took a cab to the glacier about 5 miles from town. What a beautiful spot! A National Park in a spectacular setting and well designed for tourists with lots of space. Felt so good just to be outside and off the ship for awhile. Spent a very enjoyable 3 hours exploring the viewing areas for the Glacier, the visitor center and a nice walk to Nugget Falls, a waterfall near the glacier. Round trip 2 miles though a beautiful wooded area. Did see 2 porcupines, one up close and personal. Lots of pictures and back to the ferry. Good outing.

    Lunch and the afternoon spent catching up on the blog and significant time and frustration on a jig saw puzzle 🧩 we have started. Goal was to get it done by Whittier, thinking that is not going to happen unless there are some insomniacs that work on it all night.
    Dinner with Diane, a very interesting gal from Salt Lake City. She wrote 19 books about camping and cooking while camping. One would think, a niche market. 😂. She has traveled extensively and is now retired and still traveling. Fun to share travel stories. Another episode of Absentia and to bed.
    Read more