Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Alaska Day 13 Seward, AK

    July 19, 2019 ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    A leisurely AM with some catch up on “life”as we do not have to be to the boat for our tour today until 11:30. Decided to do a Wildlife and Glacier boat trip in Kenai Fjords National Park. Cannot believe that I just got off a boat yesterday and back on a 6 hour cruise today! 😱. However we wanted to take advantage of the good weather figuring it would be a lot more enjoyable to do this trip in the sunshine.
    A very informational trip due to a Park Ranger on board for all kinds of history and detail information about the wildlife and glaciers. We left from the marina in Seward, through Resurrection Bay, out into the Gulf of Alaska and from there into Aialek (Surprise) Bay to the Holgate Glacier. Seas were calm with hazy sun and mostly clouds.
    The Holgate Glacier comes out of the Harding Ice Field which is one of the largest ice fields in the world and spawns many glaciers. We were able to get very close so some pretty good pictures.
    Then the real search for sealife. A long ride to Day Bay - not somewhere the tour was scheduled to go. However whales had been seen there the previous day. We were so very fortunate to find a pod of whales. We followed about 9 different Orca's for close to an hour. They were all around the boat and even one with a mom and baby who was practicing jumping out of the water. Really great fun. On the way back to the harbor, we got a closer look at harbor seals, sea otters and birds, puffins, kittiwakes, and common mergansers. (Mers - ducks). No eagles yet.
    Read more