Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Alaska Day 15 Seward to Homer

    July 21, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    There was one more thing we wanted to do before leaving Seward, the Seward Dog Sled Training Center. We scheduled this early so we could do the dog sled ride and still get to Homer where we will be for the next 3-4 days.
    The Iditerod dog sled race is held annually the first Saturday in March. The race is 1000 miles from Anchorage to Nome, AK. Just outside of Seward is a place where they train dogs for this race. The tour was fascinating and included a 45 minute ride through the forest pulled by 14 dogs! Great fun. The information about the Iditerod, the preparation of these dogs and the mushers was fascinating. The fellow who runs this training camp for the dogs and mushers has won the Iditarod 3 times, last in 2017. We got to see and play with some of the new puppies as well. Lots of movie filming done here as well. A really fun morning.
    Off to Homer, AK about 160 miles from Seward. Beautiful scenery the entire way. We traveled from one side of the Kenai penensula to the other. Several stops along the way. First a pottery place in the potter's home shortly out of Seward. Lovely setting and some very different pottery. Kay bought a piece. Next a stop at Moose Pass, a quirky little village with an old time general store and a trading post with a talking moose. 😂. Light lunch and on our way. A couple afternoon rest stops for Alice's power nap and Kay out for a walk. Seems like wherever you pull off the road there is some kind of hiking trail. My kind of place. 😀
    Pulled into our Homer campground around 6:30 PM. We are on the Homer spit, a long skinny peninsula that juts into the Gulf of Alaska. We are at a beachfront campground with water on both sides of us. Quite the spectacular place. A part of the spit is quite touristy in an Alaskan way. Tons of charter boats, fishing and ferry docks along with shops, saloons, and restaurants. Fun place to walk around. We had our cocktail hour in the RV and then to a restaurant on the spit for dinner. More very good local oysters.
    Read more