Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Alaska Day 18

    July 24, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    A day to explore Homer. First off to the Oceans and Islands Visitor Center. Much more than the usual visitors center - a mini museum, nature walks, lectures, etc. Enjoyable several hours. Then to check out Old Town Homer. Not to much there except a well publicized bakery - Two Sisters. A fun stop for lunch - great baked goods and good sandwiches. Onward to checkout a winery - Bear Creek. All of their wines made from berries. Tasting for 8 wines - $5. 😂. They had 2 types of wines - those blended with grapes and those just berries. Alcohol content from 8-17%. Wines OK. I would consider all as a desert wine. Bought a bottle of my favorite, Black Current. Alice bought a bottle of Port.
    Then a ride to checkout the hills around the town. The fireweed is in full bloom. And sooooo beautiful. A friend of a friend of Alice's told her about the hills on the other side of the mountain. Spectacular scenery with the fireweed covering the hillsides. Next off to the Pratt Museum, a local museum to Alaskan art and culture. I begged off of this one for a nap instead. ( Missed some sleep last night). Alice enjoyed. And one more stop at the Farmers Market which was just closing down and we did not see much.
    So a full-day of tourism, back to campground. Had had some rain last night but cleared this after noon and now sunshine at 9:30PM. Have gotten used to the many hours of daylight. Love the long days. Just wear a sleep mask at night.
    Read more