Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Alaska Day 20 Skilak Lake to Anchorage

    July 26, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    Our first rainy day, not heavy just "dripping" on and off all day. Loved our "in the woods by the lake" campground. Left early in search of a good breakfast. Ended up at Coopers Landing - great food and Kay appreciated - no cooking and no dishes. 👍 😂
    Destination today is Anchorage about 100 miles. First stop along the way is a little "off the beaten track" village - Hope, AK. Hope was one of the original Alaskan gold rush towns in the 1800's. However gold mining was short lived there as the Klondike rush was much more lucrative. Now Hope is an historic town with many well preserved tiny houses (now B & B's). Wildflowers abound. Also the same number of dilapidated buildings to add character. As we have seen in most of Alaska, the big sport in the town is fishing. A river flows into the Turnagain Arm of the Gulf of Alaska and the shores were teeming with fisher people. We found out later that the catch is pink salmon. Fishing was good. We watched several being caught just standing there for 10 minutes. An interesting find and away from the tourist trail.
    On to Anchorage with stops for gas (gas really not too expensive - by California standards - has always been under $3/gallon), the Visitor's Center for some more tourist information about the area for which we are heading.
    Arrived at our campground in Anchorage around 6PM. We are camped in Centennial Park, with a large forest all around with walking paths. 😀👍. A walk in the woods before cocktail hour, dinner "in" and to bed.
    Read more