Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Alaska Day 26 Talkeetna to Denali

    August 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 48 °F

    Weather turning rainy this AM and weather at Denali not looking great - wet and cold. 😆. We had an RV breakfast and buttoned up the vehicle for travel. We are getting synchronized with the proces and it does not take long anymore. Destination is Denali Park entrance about 130 miles away. Stopped at a Birch (tree) products store, got gas and groceries and on our way out of Talkeetna.
    One stop at a Denali Viewing point however weather increasingly lousy so one had to have a good imagination to see the mountain. Arrived at Park entrance in the rain around 3:30. Learned our way around, picked up some brochures and watched 2 movies on Denali. One was on backpacking. Backpacking here is a whole different experience than I ever thought of backpacking. The park is 6 million acres!! Experienced backpackers just takes off from the one road (or fly in). There are no trails and wild animals everywhere. Navigational skills are critical. Amazing! Lots of hard core hikers around.
    Found our campground a mile from the Park entrance. A tourist area with hotels, restaurants, and shops. We checked out some shops, had dinner "in", watched the final episode of Absentia and to bed,.
    Read more