Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Akaska Day 38 Haines, AK

    August 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    A morning of "running around" and RV attention. No propane so out for breakfast. Nice cafe in Haines - Chilkoot Cafe and Bakery. Filled up the propane but still not working, went back later to the propane place, problem was the switch got turned off! 🤣😂 not sure how, maybe with all the erratic road conditions yesterday - who knows. Also took the time to clean the floor of the RV, take everything out and reorganize a bit. We wanted to wash the RV but the wash place was closed. 👍🤣.
    Off to the Chilcoot State Recreation Area. A lovely drive along the Lynn Canal (a huge fjord) , more mountains and water everywhere. Lots of fisher people in the river. The draw to this area is that the salmon are swimming upstream to spawn and the bears come down to the river to fish. This paark is the destination of a lot of the nature tours. Ugly road with many potholes but we finally arrived at Chilcoot Lake - quite the spectacular scenery. Everyone is looking for bears. We passed a group on our way in that had spotted a brown bear across the river bit that wa to be out closest encounter to a bear for the day. I think a certain amount of patience is involved. (Not my strong suit) 😱.
    However on our way out we saw one of the Nature Tour groups with a monocular mounted on a tripod. Just then a bald eagle flew overhead to the top of a large tree across the river. Through the monocular you could see the nest with eaglers. Soon both mother and dad were there feding the babies! 👍. Pretty amazing.
    Back to town for a beer at the local Fogcutter Saloon. Then back to RV for dinner. Finished Seasin 1 of Fleabag.
    Note: Pictures coming, cannot download them with WiFi at this Park. 😕
    Read more