Satellite
  • Day 45

    Alaska Day 45 Vancouver, BC

    August 20, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Ahhhh. A good nights sleep in a luxurious bed! 😂👍. Out to find a place for breakfast. Could not ding much and ended up in at a Cafe in a library across the plaza from our hotel. Quite the library, all spread out in a very modern architecture building. Next to tackle the Vancouver public transit system. Vancouver has an above ground subway - the Sky Train with 3 lines. A train station is right next to our hotel. After figuring out how to buy the right type of ticket we were off. Destination: the waterfront and Granville Island and downtown Vancouver. Sky train good all the way to the waterfront. It’s been a long time since I have been to Vancouver and I’d forgotten how beautiful their waterfront area is. We wandered around for awhile looking for a tourist information center. Finally found one and got directions on where to catch a bus to Granville Island, maps and other tourism data from a chatty agent.
    A bus ride through downtown Vancouver to Granville Island - a small Island right off of downtown Vancouver. Alice had been there years ago and wanted to go back and check it out. There is one major road across a bridge to the island. Quite the happening place. Shops, restaurants , a huge market and access to all the water transportation that you could imagine. We wandered around for several hours, some shopping but primarily people watching and trying to decide which of the establishments we wanted for lunch. Every ethnic variety food one could think of. Alice got Greek, I got Japanese. Spent an hour or so just watching all the watercraft scene on the very busy inlet from the Pacific.
    Took the local ferry down to the end of its run and walked a bit to get back on the Sky Train and to our hotel. Just in time for a manicure and pedicure close to the hotel - MUCH needed. Cocktail hour and a late dinner at the hotel, good kale Cesar salad.
    Read more