Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Amsterdam Day 5

    April 29, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    A sunny and plans for a guided walking tour of central Amsterdam. I like to do walking tours in cities, a good way to get history, the tourist high points and usually some good recommendations for food and things to do. Met the guide, a Spaniard, at 10A close to the central train station, the hub for the city. Only 8 (2 from Chicago, 3 from Ireland, 2 from London via South Africa and me) in the group so a nice size and eclectic backgrounds.

    We walked and listened for >3 hours and >than 3 miles. Lots of new information, the history of Amsterdam and the Netherlands. (the Dutch East and West India companies influence and the Jewish quarter and their WWII history). interesting sites and fun facts. Fun fact: Population of Amsterdam is ~1Mil. There are more than 1Mil bicycles in Amsterdam! I saw one gal with 3 dogs in the front “cab” and one more in a cage on the back!

    First stop was the famous red light district. Prostitution was legalized in the Netherlands in 2,000. I remember when I was here ~25years ago, ladies in every window marketing” their wares. Today, only 1. The guide says that the city is slowing trying to close the area to phase out the prostitution, primarily because of all the crime (primarily trafficking) that comes with it. They are paying for housing for young adults - mostly artists and musicians - with the hope that they will soon take over the neighborhood. Interesting approach.

    Other sights os interest; the huge flow market; mostly tulips -what a surprise. Canals, bridges, home for down and our women, shopping malls, Dutch stock exchange, and many more. A really good guide and a “well worth it” tour. Would highly recommend.

    Following the tour, I was ready for lunch and wanted to check out the Jordaan area, advertised in tourist literature as a newer upscale section of Amsterdam with lots of canals, boutique shops and, and trendy eating places. Wandered in that direction, past the Anne Frank House (saw that last time) and found the much quieter area just as advertised. Sat on a bench and looked for a good restaurant and settled on Cafe Sonneberg. It was terrific and I had a window table looking out to the canal. A “don’t’ miss” if you are in Amsterdam. (See pick of my warm goat cheese sandwich)

    Wandered back home, a stop at the local grocery store and home to put my feet up! Some tourism planning, light dinner of left over pasta, a little TV and to bed. Long day tour tomorrow.
    Read more