Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Geneva Day 11

    May 5, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    Up and out today, good night’s sleep and feel much better! Chose 2 spots on the other side of the lake (the newer side) as they were both on my To Do list and close together. First stop: The United Nations Geneva. Geneva is the headquarters for the EU United Nations. (Like NYC is for North America). This was also the site of the “original United Nations” - the League of Nations founded after WWI. I had tried to get tour tickets when in Amsterdam but they were booked into July! Their tours are limited right now due to renovation inside the building. So saw what I could from the outside. Impressive buildings and huge plaza for big events. The Broken Chair sculpture (see pic below) symbolizes both fragility and strength, imbalance and stability, violence, and dignity. More specifically, it symbolizes opposition to land mines and cluster bombs as a reminder to the politicians and diplomats visiting Geneva UN. The sculpture is 39 feet tall and was commissioned by Humanity and Inclusion (previously known as Handicap International). It shows that even wounded victims of war are still standing tall, with dignity.

    Just a short walk away, was the entrance to the Botanical Gardens of Geneva. Any garden in Europe in May is a treat. A wonderful, peaceful several hours roaming the grounds and greenhouses. A beautiful place. Will let the pics do the explaining. Late lunch at the Cafe in the gardens with wonderful views in all directions.

    Wended my way back home, with several “detours”. The Geneva App for public transport is not nearly as good as Amsterdam! Feet up, as I am going out tonight!

    Classical music in Europe always seems special. I look for some anywhere I travel and usually not too hard to find. The Venus in Geneva is Victoria Hall, one of those beautiful old neoclassical style concert halls. (See last pic below). The concert was great and featured Michael Barenboim, violinist, the son of Daniel Barenboim, the well-known conductor. A very enjoyable evening.
    Read more