Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Innsbruck, Austria Day 24

    May 19, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Breakfast at our lovely apartment a couple miles outside of Innsbruck. There a great mini mart about a 3 minute walk from out place which is great for our minimal grocery shopping needs. Off today for the Swarovski Crystal World. Swarovski crystal,is world renowned as very high quality crystal and is headquartered in Innsbruck, Austria. I had not read a lot about what to expect and was not prepared for the amazing display of crystal in theater, music, and art. We spent almost 5 hours there.

    It’s an exhibit that is hard to describe. There were 17 rooms that you walk through with various themes called the Chamber of Wonder. E.g. one room had a crystal tree surrounded by a winter scene and real snow falling inside (See our pic). Another had a Hollywood scene featuring clothes made with crystals that famous people have worn, think Elton John, Simone Biles, Katie Perry, Cher etc. Huge crystals and amazing experiences with crystals, light and color. A great experience. Also had a great lunch there then tackled the outside which also has a lot to do. Rode the carousel, enjoyed all of the sculptures and huge outdoor exhibits including the “Clouds”. (Pic before the rainbow). Those “clouds” all sparkle with the light hitch I could not capture with the camera. A really. Interesting and fun day.

    Stopped at the Tourist Information center to pick up other ideas for this area. Then home after a stop at the mini mart and out for a walk to check out the neighborhood. Our host told us about a 7 minute walk (all uphill) to the train station which we checked out and saw all the hiking paths going off in every direction from the top of our hill. Train came by filled with hikers ending their day with a train ride back to town. -asta for dinner, planning for tomorrow and another rainbow.
    Read more