Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Stubai Valley, Austria Day 28

    May 23, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    Plan for today was to do a hike in the valley by the river that runs through it, waterfalls, etc. however Mother Nature decided we should not do that this morning for as we got to the starting area, (about 6 miles away) it started to rain and had no signs of stopping. So back to town, to walk the small center town of Neustift, much is closed as they are between seasons and businesses are taking a vacation or are closed on Tuesdays.

    However we did check out the church which was amazing! The church is the centerpiece of the town but it was the cemetery that caught out eye. There are probably around 150-200 graves - ALL had fresh flowers, growing plants and in designed floral beds All the plots were the same size and the “headstones” were decorative metal sculptures. I have never seen anything like it. The inside of the church was just as pleasing and lovely. Spectacular ceiling, all white walls, airy and light pastel,colors. So very modern looking. Even the organ was modern. The pews were all light roughly hewn wood and the stone floor was complimentary to all. A beautiful place. The first chapel on that site was in the early 1500’s, built by Maximillian I, they have had many renovations and clearly a recent one. A great find.

    Weather starting to clear, so we had lunch the one restaurant in town that was open and decided to do,the hike we had planned for the morning. The hike was great. Not too difficult, in the valley so not too much elevation. 5 miles round trip with waterfalls everywhere and the snow covered mountains always rising above all. It is truly beautiful here. The chairs that we are sitting on is the cover photo today are on a platform the spans the river right at the big waterfall. You can lie there and enjoy the wonderful view of the waterfall with the Alps above.

    Weather started to turn while at the platform and shortly after we started back the rain returned. Needless to say we got back much faster than we did going! 😂. Cocktail hour (good German white wine) and dinner at home tonight, pasta again.
    Read more