Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Lake Bled, Slovenia Day 33

    May 28, 2023 in Slovenia ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Last day of real tourism with Carol. There is a gorge near Bled that we set off for this morning. Another beautiful weather day, temp around 70 and sunshine with white clouds. The gorge is only a 15 minute drive on the other side of Bled from where we are staying. Arrived around 10A and started the gorge walk. Amazing views in all directions. The river running through the gorge is the Radova. Clear rushing water, high canyon sides, and wildflowers and green feens and plants all seemingly growing out of the rock. A beautiful walk on a boardwalk, many other people there but not too crowded. We took pictures (way too many). And slowly enjoyed the walk, about a mile, along the rock side and the numerous bridges.

    Then the real hike began, I visited this gorge about 6-7 years ago and when we finished we just turned around and went back. You cannot do that anymore. Instead you walk/hike back on one of two trails. We chose the longer “prettier “one and it was beautiful. First a long, gradual uphill along a lovely forested path. When we reached the top, there was a church, cafe and benches to sit and look at the beautiful view across a wide valley. The trail took off through pastures, on a gentle downhill for another couple miles. A really fun hike that we did not plan. Had a great lunch back at the entrance to the gorge - smoked trout with horseradish sauce salad! Carol tried the Aperol Spritzer which it seems everyone drinks here. They look so pretty - and orangish-red color, with Prosecco and Aperol - a kind of herbal mixture.

    On to our next stop about 45 minutes away, a Russian Chapel in the foothills of the Julian Alps. Before we got there we mistakenly visited Kranska-Gora, a pretty ski village at the base of the mountains. There is a Russian Church there that I thought was the Russian Chapel we were looking for. 😫. However a cute town and very good frozen yogurt and ice cream! 😂. Fortunately the chapel was not far from there up the very windy mountain road. This is a beautiful wooden chapel built in the woods in a tranquil, lovely setting. (See cover photo). During WW I this area was. POW camp for Russian prisoners. They built the road that winds though these mountains. While building there was an avalanche that killed many of the prisoners. This chapel was built by the remaining in their memory. The pyramidal stone I the picture is a grave for many of the soldiers. Just such a peaceful place.

    Back home for cocktail hour, dinner (pasta again) - all,outside on our deck as it is a lovely evening. Another episode of Anatomy of a Scandal, a little pre-packing as we leave here for Vienna tomorrow.
    Read more