Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Road trip to barcelona

    June 29, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Kit and I travelled by train to Bordeaux to pick up the rental car that I had used to make it to the pick up point. After a ridiculously expensive taxi ride from the train station to the airport (60+ euros for 7km) we picked up the car and were on our way. It started pouring with rain, and to make matter worse, google maps took us on a wild goose chase for gas, and we literally ended up BEHIND a gas station, with no way to make it to the pumps, while we were running on fumes. It was as if we were stuck in a maze, we could get back to the main road, we just kept driving around these little back roads, never sure when we would run out of gas.

    Finally it was around 1am and I managed to find the way back to the road just behind the gas station, and I parked, intent on climbing the fence if necessary. Turns out there was an access gate for pedestrians, so Kit and I got out and walked across the field to the gas station. Right at that moment it began to pour with rain. We purchased a gas can and got some gas and walked back. By the time we got to the car, it was nearly typhoon like rain, and I was drenched filling the tank.

    However, this effort succeded that we drove all the way back around to the gas station to fill up completely. This experience took so long that we decided we should just drive the rest of the night. I pulled off to a rest stop about an hour later and slept for 1.5 hours and then continued driving.
    Read more