Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Pretoria - Graskop

    February 12, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Is fuffi’s first drive, and it's our first day entirely on the road. The first two hours pass quickly in the highway, listening to music and observing the surroundings.

    After we leave the highway, the street becomes smaller and smaller and we start finding more and more works on the road and trucks carrying materials for building.
    The road goes with terrain ground and after a few hours we start being tired and we find extremely funny to drive in a road like this.

    Suddenly, the road ends and we arrive in the city where we had planned to take the lunch. The city is actually a one street village than only have restaurants and shops for people that pass by on the road.

    It’s now my turn to drive. The road starts going up and up in the mountains and the view is incredible! After some driving we reach a point where we wanted to have a look to a waterfall that was supposed to be pretty. It was basically nothing.
    We decide to look for more attractions in the area before going to Graskop, our next checkpoint. We find some other waterfalls called Mac Mac Waterfalls that look cool and we decide to give it another chance.

    The view is actually very nice. It is possible to see the waterfall from the other side of the mountain and have a complete overview.

    After spending some time at the waterfalls we drive to Graskop. The village is very small and we are very excite since we heard that here there are the best pancakes in the country and we are craving them since the beginning of the trip. Unfortunately the guy at the reception of our hotel informs us that the pancake place is already closed. Sad and disappointed we reach our room and look for another place to eat. We notice that google indicates that the place that does pancakes actually closes at 18.00. It is 17.20. We decide to give it a chance and we run to the place that is just one street ahead our hotel.
    The place is open but the waitresses are already cleaning and preparing for closing. Convincing them to serve us some pancakes is not easy, but somehow we manage! We sit in a corner table and have a look at the menu. Fuffi decides to take a salty pancake, while I go for a lemon meringue pancake with icecream. An incredible experience! A huge pancake, so soft and fluffy filled with a smooth sauce made of lemon and meringue. We eat and enjoy and are so thankful!

    Back at the hotel the guy informs us that in the evening they will switch off electricity between 19.00 and 21.00.
    We decide to spend some time in the swimming pool before it gets dark. We spend sometime chatting observing the sky getting darker. At 19.00, all the lights go off in the village and everything is dark.

    Back to the room we wait for electricity to come back in order to take a shower, and after that we go to sleep.
    Read more