Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Salt water cures everything

    July 12, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Maine has a slogan - “The Way Life Should Be”. We laughed at how smug the welcome sign was crossing state lines. I can attest Maine is certainly the way a summer vacation should be. The beaches are lovely, the towns are charming and the area abounds with enough activities, shopping and saltwater taffy to satisfy all. We met dozens of people who come here annually for their summer vacation, including my friend Liane and her extended family.

    Spending time around the beach we established there are three types of vacationer: beach people (sand, salt water, Tommy Bahama chair), lake people (rock, fresh water, Muskoka chair) and pool people (concrete, heated salt water and lounge chair). Good ice breaker question that could get contentious. As people who inherently dislike sand and dirt, Mel and I (and almost certainly Eleanor) are pool people. Malcolm remains flexible and announced proudly today: Mom, I love the beach! Time will tell. If Malcolm turns out to be a beach person I will happily return to Maine year after year.

    York, Maine is a special place. Ogunquit, Maine appears equally special. If an idyllic seaside vacation is on your bucket list write these down. Come in July, book ahead and don’t bother going to Augusta first because there are lots of beach shops in town where you can get the chair, cooler and toys to prepare. Even if not completely, you will look the part. Visit Cliff House, either as accommodations or for a lobster roll and to take in the sweeping views.

    It is 11PM. Kids are asleep and we are exhausted after a full day of sun and sand. Malcolm is meeting his friend Kieran at the pool in the morning while we pack and back out of our room. There is no destination tomorrow. We will take a highway leading northwest toward Montebello, Quebec. I expect to sleep in Vermont or the Eastern Townships.

    Seas the day.
    Read more