Satellite
  • Day 48

    A Walk and a Half - part 2!

    November 24, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Unfortunately, it appears we should have returned to the upper track via a steep, stepped path about half-way along the coast. Instead, we carried on round, with the track disappearing and the terrain getting progressively rockier and more challenging until we had to do some fairly serious rock climbing around one headland. There are numerous signs reminding you to keep away from seals and nesting birds (of which there were thousands – all screaming) but as we were so busy watching where we were walking, we were often almost on top of them before we realised.
    We had reached a point where it looked like we could go no further, and might have to back-track a good 40 mins to the find the uphill path, when Charlie thought he could find a way through by jumping over a fairly large crevasse, which he duly did. I was heading the same way until up popped the head of a very large seal less than 2 metres in front of me. He had been sleeping between the very rocks Charlie had just jumped over! Meanwhile Charlie started to come back towards me, as he’d found himself between another seal and the water – not a good place to be! Not wanting to aggravate it, I simply pointed down at my feet and mouthed “there’s one right here”! We did manage to find another route past him, and tiptoed quickly past the second one while it was sleeping.
    I kept wanting to stop and take more photos of the incredible landscape, but Charlie (who was getting progressively more anxious) was striding ahead with the camera in his backpack, and he wasn’t stopping for ANYTHING! We finally made it back to the motorhome about 2 hours 15 mins after leaving our lunch stop – weary and blasted by the sun and wind, but blown away by what we had seen, experienced and achieved. We will definitely sleep well tonight!
    Read more