Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    All Good Things must come to an End

    November 26, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Yesterday we drove through from Kaikoura to Hanmer, taking the inland route. Unlike the drive north, we actually found the right road this time! It was one of the hottest days we’ve had yet, with the temperature reaching 27 degrees by the time we arrived in Hanmer. Earlier in the week we had thought we might take a dip in the hot pools when we got there, but a cold drink in a shady beer garden sounded much more appealing. We spent a jolly hour there meeting up with Joanne and Simon again, who are in Hanmer for a couple of days helping their neighbours clear out their holiday home. We spent the last night of our ‘North of the South’ holiday at the NZMCA park by the Hanmer River bridge.
    This morning we ticked off the Conical Hill walk, a steady 40 minute climb through conifer forest to the top of a hill, from where you get a great view out over Hanmer and the surrounding countryside. Then it was time for a final coffee before we hit the road for Christchurch and a few days catching up with friends and family and getting our Christmas shopping done.
    We’ve had the most magical holiday, and taken the time to explore some really beautiful places – many of which we’d never visited before. We have loved having no fixed schedule, and no real plan other than the next 24 hours. And we’re still talking to each other!!
    Thanks for coming with us on our travels… Can’t wait to do it again.
    Read more