Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Hoi An day 1

    November 12, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    6am wake up
    8am flight
    10:00ish arrival, flight had to circle the runway a few times because of heavy rains.

    We immediately found the weather much less hot and humid. Back in Ho Chi Minh even 6am was very hot and humid.

    When we arrived in da nang the Grab we booked (Uber in Vietnam) wasn’t moving for like 15 minutes so people kept heckling us to take their cab instead.

    We ended up cancelling and booking a Vinfast taxi for the hourish drive from da nang to hoi an, which showed up right away.

    We got to our hotel at about 11, dropped off our bags and walked down to the old part of the town. Hoi an is much smaller and calmer than Ho Chi Minh but even so it’s still Vietnam..

    We walked around the old town and found a nice little restaurant and ate: crispy wonton, white rose dumplings, cao lau, and chicken rice (com ga). A lot of the streets there were like alleys so only motorcycles and people could navigate them, and fruit and vegetable vendors had set up all along the sidewalk so basically motorcycles were just honking their way through the crowds.

    We also found a little tea shop and got a little Vietnamese tea and a teacup!

    The main event though.. Hoi An is famous for having the cheapest tailored clothing in the world, we went a little tiny bit crazy and got custom tailored dresses, shirts, 3 pairs of custom made shoes, pants and I got new linen pants and a full suit!! We need to buy a new bag now. We’ll go back tomorrow to try them all on and see if they need any alterations.

    We finally checked in around 4 to our beautiful little 3rd floor walk up on the river, and then went for dinner just down the street.

    I’ll add more pics when I can get them from Jane
    Read more